Alternative Energy Forum | Nature2Energy.com  

Sponsors
Our Forums
Stock Market Cats
Motorized Bicycles

Go Back   Alternative Energy Forum | Nature2Energy.com > Alternative Energy Systems > Other Sources Of Renewable Energy

Other Sources Of Renewable Energy Biomass, Wave- Tidal, Methane, Ethanol, Hydro-Power,Biodiesel and other sources of Renewable Energy

Source of Renewable Energy-Norway

Biomass, Wave- Tidal, Methane, Ethanol, Hydro-Power,Biodiesel and other sources of Renewable Energy

Old 01-17-2012, 11:11 AM

Default Source of Renewable Energy-Norway

Hello guys!

I have recently become interested in alternative energy sources, and therefore I stumbled upon this nice forum.

Right now I live in Norway, and I have been thinking for some time if there is a way to lower my daily electricity consumption. Especially in Northern Norway this is a problem, since we have only a few hours of sun every day, afterwards having to rely on "electricity".

Therefore, I was wondering if you guys have any ideas to what i could do to lower my personal electricity consumption. I thought about it myself but reached no conclusion. Solar panels are of no use here, small wind turbines...not really (at least I don't think so); quite the same situation for the other alternative sources.

Any ideas would be highly appreciated! Thanks!
Old 01-19-2012, 11:57 AM

Default Re: Source of Renewable Energy-Norway

Hi,

The first steps in your case should be reducing the consumption of energy and conservation of energy.

You could do this by buying appliances that consume least amount of energy, reducing the usage of electrical and electronic gadgets, switching off lights and electronic equipment not in use. Replace conventional lights with LED.

Even on standby mode the appliances are using up electricity. If its possible use natural heat of the sun and breeze to dry your clothes instead of using the dryer option on your washing machine.

If you have only a few hours of sunlight then make most use of it, solar cells generate minute quantities of electricity which are stored in batteries for later use using light from the sun. So, don't dismiss solar panel option. Check out with your local government agencies dealing with energy about the options available in Norway.

Bio-diesel and Bio-fuels are another option worth exploring.

Insulation is another neglected area in many homes. Having good insulation prevents loss of heat and saves ton of energy in heating costs. Get your home inspected by energy inspectors to know about the areas of leakage.

That's it for now. I am sure others on the forum will give you better tips than me :-)
Old 06-21-2012, 09:23 AM

Default Re: Source of Renewable Energy-Norway

Norway is a heavy producer of renewable energy, first of all due to good resources in hydropower. Over 99% of the electricity production in mainland Norway is covered by hydropower plants. The total production of electricity from hydropower plants amounted to 135.3 TWh. There is also a large potential in wind power, offshore wind power and wave power, as well as production of bio-energy from wood. Norway has limited resources in solar energy, but is one of the worlds largest producers of solar grade silicon and silicon solar cells.