Alternative Energy Forum | Nature2Energy.com  

Sponsors
Our Forums
Stock Market Cats
Motorized Bicycles

Go Back   Alternative Energy Forum | Nature2Energy.com > Alternative Energy Systems > Other Sources Of Renewable Energy

Other Sources Of Renewable Energy Biomass, Wave- Tidal, Methane, Ethanol, Hydro-Power,Biodiesel and other sources of Renewable Energy

Waterwheel Generator

Biomass, Wave- Tidal, Methane, Ethanol, Hydro-Power,Biodiesel and other sources of Renewable Energy

Old 10-02-2011, 12:31 AM

Default Waterwheel Generator

Hi everyone--

I'm a senior in mechanical engineering at Harding University, and our senior design project has rolled around. I've convinced my team to construct a waterwheel generator that functions by being anchored in a stream (no dam, no drop) and using an undershot waterwheel with poncelet blades to turn a generator. We have to generate 50 watts given a flow rate of 0.5 m/s.

Our concern, as you might have guessed, is generator choice. None of us have much experience in this field, and I've been designated to choose our device. So, I turn to the more experienced in the field.

We anticipate a low rpm, due to the nature of the design. With the proper gearing, we can increase the overall rpm to approximately 200-300, but only at the cost of torque. What generators would you guys consider to be well suited to this application?
Old 02-27-2012, 09:27 AM

Default Re: Waterwheel Generator

Hi there, Your Waterwheel Generator project seems really interesting. Well, I am not so much aware about all this. I am also having an research on Solar power. All the best.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:40 AM

I wish I could tell you exactly what to use. When I'm doing experiments like these, my trusty stand-bye is an Amatek 30VDC permanent magnet motor.

Be sure and keep us updated on your project. I'd be really interested in the results.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:34 AM

Your choice of electrical generator really depends on how much output power you require and the type of supply, DC current or AC current. Personally I would go for a permanent magnet DC generator something similar from old buses and trucks, these generators/dynamos are more robust and operate at low rpm speeds. Don't choose a newer car alternator unless you want to install a gearbox as these require much high rpm speeds and an additional field supply.

In many ways hydro power is similar to wind power you are just replacing the turbines rotors with a waterwheel, so a similar type of generator would work fine for a small scale hydro system like yours.

Take a look at this site about, Small Scale Hydro Power , They have lots of pages on the different hydro energies and waterwheels available and should give you some ideas. It helped me.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:30 AM

If your water way is far from the building it will supply then defiantly go with an AC generator and make the switch over to DC. The cable will be much smaller and less loss per feet.
Jerry
Old 07-11-2012, 10:02 AM

A water wheel is a time tested way to convert flowing water into usable, renewable energy. In times past that energy was used directly to power mills and factories. Today a water wheel can spin a generator, converting water power to electrical current. Regardless of the size of your project, basic strategies will help ensure a successful result.