Alternative Energy Forum | Nature2Energy.com  

Sponsors
Our Forums
Stock Market Cats
Motorized Bicycles

Go Back   Alternative Energy Forum | Nature2Energy.com > Alternative Energy Systems > Wind Power Systems / Wind Turbines

Wind Power Systems / Wind Turbines Wind Power is the conversion of wind energy into a useful form, such as electricity, using wind turbines.

Need advice on 2nd windmill project

Wind Power is the conversion of wind energy into a useful form, such as electricity, using wind turbines.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:14 PM

Default Re: Need advice on 2nd windmill project

and more pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2176.jpg (33.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2177.jpg (31.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2180.jpg (31.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2183.jpg (27.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2189.jpg (26.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-20-2012, 10:15 PM

One last pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2190.jpg (25.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-27-2012, 11:30 PM

I am currently making the base for the 30 foot tower. Hopefully, the town does not get after me about the windmill & the height. Here is the progress so far. I managed to test the 5 foot windmill on a 14 foot tower (for my other windmill) and noticed a furling problem right away. The tail seems to be too light for the job. I added an old window weight (clipped on) and that seemed to keep it towards the wind better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2224.jpg (33.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2225.jpg (35.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2227.jpg (29.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2236.jpg (9.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2240.jpg (14.8 KB, 1 views)
Old 02-28-2012, 10:38 PM

Some of the things you'll run into with that motor is that it will rot. It will rust out so bad in the first year that it may not even be usable.

Some simple tips would be to dismantle the motor and lacquer the core and stator very well. If you use decking clear coat it's cheap and you can just warm a stainless mixing bowl with some on a hot plate or stove with low heat and it will reduce and thicken to a thick molasses texture. Use a Popsicle stick and drizzle it all over the stator wires and coat the core in it. Allow to dry then put the core back in. Be sure to tape off the shaft where it goes through the bearings so you can get it back together.

Then paint the outside in several layers of rustoleum oil base. This will make the pma water tight. You are on the right track with the belt drive. I do know the pvc that you used is UV sensitive so it will fatigue in the sunshine. So be sure to coat it with rustoleum black or a good oil based black paint I just say rustoleum because it's easy to find at HD or lowes.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:19 PM

I got the tower base all welded up. As far as the guy wires, I welded strap buckles (to hold plywood together) onto the poles. Since the tower will be 30 feet, I welded the first set of four 27 feet high and the second set of four at 13.5 feet high. Also, I created some strange looking anchors (4 stakes screwed together). They worked on my other tower, so I decided to try it again.
Throughout this windmill building process, I was also working on a dump controller. After scouring the web and not wanting to spend a few hundred dollars, I ended up buying a kit from ghurd in 2010. I did not have the ability to use it until now (built our house in 2010). When I tried to put the kit to use, I noticed immediately it was not behaving correctly. Instead of buying another unit, I decided to contact ghurd to see if he had any ideas. Let me tell you, I felt very confident when I received a kind/positive email back from ghurd. Even though I bought it 2 years ago, he guaranteed that we would get it up and running. After trying a few suggestions from him, the problem (2 bad mosfets) was discovered and I was back in business. He went above and beyond by sending me 3 new mosfets free of charge. Bottom-line, if you need an inexpensive/reliable dump controller, get it from ghurd. I was very impressed with his customer relations. Here are some pics from the progress so far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2255.jpg (30.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2257.jpg (33.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2264.jpg (47.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2318.jpg (26.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2322.jpg (28.5 KB, 1 views)
Old 03-17-2012, 03:07 PM

It is up & running, on its final resting point. I made the tail a little bigger & longer. I also did a test run of the tower, before I put the windmill on. I will let it fly a few weeks, to see how it behaves.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2329.jpg (30.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2330.jpg (42.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2342.jpg (34.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2344.jpg (16.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2346.jpg (42.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-17-2012, 03:08 PM

Here are some more pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2348.jpg (12.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2358.jpg (8.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-02-2012, 09:16 PM

This is not right. Shouldn’t that be spinning, instead of being a perching post? I also added a pic of both windmills together.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2368.jpg (19.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2409.jpg (13.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-06-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKHPhillips View Post
Hey Everyone, I came to this forum a few years ago for some good advice on my first windmill project. I am now working on my second windmill. I took a motor from a treadmill that we have not used in years. The motor is 8 pounds without the 2 pound flywheel. I'm hoping this will make a good windmill motor. Not sure if I should leave the flywheel on or not. I thought it might make it harder to start up in low winds. I'm also thinking of 2.5 feet long, 6" PVC pipe blades (3 of them). I would appreciate any advice & welcome you along the journey of my 2nd project.

Here is the motor:
Indoor gardeners and horticulture enthusiasts alike can benefit from the added value that grow light systems provide. While many gardeners have the luxury of spaces available outdoors for gardening, others live in ideal climates the majority of the year. Then there are those of us who have neither perfect conditions or the landscape available for outdoor gardening. But for every challenge, there is a solution. Grow light systems not only enable indoor growing during colder months,nike dunk, but for city dwellers where space is limited,zapatos gucci mujer, they provide the ability to literally turn an enclosed patio, basement or even a closet into a garden. Plants that are fairly easy to grow include berries, tomatoes, herbs and flowering bulbs such as daffodils,vibram five fingers espana, onions and lilies.
I personally grow my own vegetables for the added health benefits of organic produce, but also as a healthy hobby. Being able to grow and nurture vegetables and then find new and interesting recipes is a great way to not only keep focused on health, but it's a wonderful activity to share with kids. As spring and summer come around many gardeners are eager to begin planting seeds. More and more horticulturists seek out quality grow light systems to kick start the growing season. As an integral component for photosynthesis, grow lights can provide the necessary amounts of light and are excellent sources for sensitive plants. By controlling the intensity and duration of light, you can achieve greater results in your herbs, fruits and vegetables.

For greenhouses or indoor gardening environments, grow light systems provide the adequate levels of light needed to nurture seeds and bulbs to optimum growth and vitality. It's important to have the appropriate levels of light as too much can damage and kill plants and too little can limit growth.

Grow light systems have increased in popularity as the interest in organic foods become more mainstream. With more home gardeners,puma zapatos, there is a need to provide quality grow lights that fit a variety of needs. Grow light systems are a great way to address the residential lighting needs for small gardeners with indoor gardening needs. From High Intensity Discharge (HID) lights, Metal Halide Bulbs and Fluorescent lights,nike factory madrid, customers can choose the grow lights that best fit their budget and growing needs.

You can find quality grow light systems from your nearest gardening center, but often times, sourcing these online provides you the opportunity to compare different types, vendors and retailers to get the best price and the right type of grow light system for your situation. Grow Light Systems Adds Value to City Gardeners
is well
Old 10-09-2012, 06:53 PM

Sounds good mkhphilips; however, would recommend some kind of "clutching fan" attachment like on your cars radiator to cool the motor while spinning. Those motors have trouble when hot. Much like a stand up fan motor, without air flow, they overheat easily. A small shaft mounted shroud fan would work nicely to draw the heat away. Other than that, your project looks good.