PDA

View Full Version : Can you test an ebike with bad batteries?

wheelbender6
11-03-2009, 08:55 PM
I am moving to a state where gas assisted bikes are illegal, so I'm trading my beloved china girl (2 stroke) for an ebike.
A fellow is interested in trading his 36v EV Global to me but the batteries are shot. Is there a way for me to verify that the controller and hub motor are sound?
One guy suggested seeing if it would work (with the back wheel raised) while the battery charger is plugged in.
Another guy told me to disconnect the motor from the controller and apply power from a 6 volt battery to see if the motor is working.
I don't know if that heinzmann hub motor is brushless or not.

I'd appreciate any other ideas for determining if the controller and motor are functional.

myocardia
11-04-2009, 02:48 PM
The only sure way is to use 36V worth of batteries. The battery charger trick most likely won't work, although anything is possible. Won't you be planning on selling your bike and buying a used electric, even if his bike doesn't work? If so, you'll be needing the new batteries either way, I can assure you. Nobody ever sells electric bikes that have good batteries. BTW, to which state are you moving?

wheelbender6
11-05-2009, 05:40 PM
We are moving to Houston and I'll be working downtown. I have heard that the streets downtown are dangerous for cycling.
I figure that a good new electric kit (batteries, controller, rear hub motor) for a normal bicycle with a 15 mile range will cost close to a grand anyway.
If that is true, it seems to be well worth trading my china girl for the EV Global.

wheelbender6
11-06-2009, 10:08 PM
Sounds like I may be better off sticking with my china girl. I can easily take a 50 mile ride and have plenty of fuel remaining in my 3/4 gal tank.
I had made a lot of plans for my 2 stroke before getting the news that I was moving. I have already bought materials to make a reed valve intake. The motor kit was also going to be transplanted onto a 1976 Western Flyer that I recently resto-modded.
I'll just have to keep my socks on so I won't get in trouble like GeorgeNTexas!