PDA

View Full Version : Eletric Charger while-u-ride!

weekend-fun
07-20-2009, 05:13 PM
:eek:Hey yall,
I was just thinking if you couuld attach batteries to the rim of your tire on a bike. Than, put one on the frame so they meet. Add some copper wire near by and run it to the + side of the battery. than run a wire from the - side to the motor. Any suggestions?

paul
07-27-2009, 01:58 AM
i been thinking about this since you posted lol. some thoughts are the weight and drag would eat up the batteries quicker then they would charge. i think a better solution would be to make it like a hybrid car that when you use the brakes it charges the battery. that is when you want drag anyway, i also thought of the solar chargers they have for bass boats, they are small and lightweight and could be mounted on the rear rack, this would be a fun interesting project. here are chargers like i was thinking, Solar Trickle Chargers for Car, Truck, RV, Boat, Deep Cycle (http://store.sundancesolar.com/trchforcatrr.html)

electrowheelz
09-24-2009, 06:49 AM
:eek:Hey yall,
I was just thinking if you couuld attach batteries to the rim of your tire on a bike. Than, put one on the frame so they meet. Add some copper wire near by and run it to the + side of the battery. than run a wire from the - side to the motor. Any suggestions?

Yes, I have a suggestion. no, never mind.
Here's an etrike with a gas generator that charges the batteries while you ride. Is this the holy grail? Perpetual motion achieved?
What do you think about this idea. Use an electric bike with an AC motor instead of the usual DC. No batteries. Use a gas generator. The AC motor is powered by the generator's 120v output. Will you be able to keep going until the generator runs out of gas? These mini generators run for several hours on a gallon or less. Or am I barking up the wrong tree and would just need an extra long extension cord? Inquiring minds want to know.
YouTube - Hybrid Trike 130 Miles Per Gallon ! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJDNWcnYlFo)

electrowheelz
09-25-2009, 06:36 AM
Welcome to the forums, electrowheelz. There is no such thing as perpetual motion, at least here on Earth. Listen to the video you linked. The guy that made that scooter did it to be able to go long distances with his electrically powered scooter, but only because he can't get a drivers license of any type, because of his eyesight.

Running a gasoline engine to power a generator to power an electric motor isn't as efficient as just using the internal combustion engine to directly propel the vehicle. That's the reason he only gets 130 MPG, as opposed to the 150-180 MPG he would get with a 4-stroke gasoline engine powered bicycle. Of course, it seems perfect for him, and that's the whole point, isn't it?:)

But he's sort of implying that he has some kind of miracle machine when in fact, his range is 8 miles on the batteries. He also claims that his marine charger powers the bike's motor when the batteries go dead as long as he has gas. If this is true, since the generator holds just over a half gallon, I guess his range is good, but as you say, it would be much more efficient to use the Honda engine as the bike's power source in the first place. His reasons for driving what he does is of no importance to me. It's the claims he implies and that it's a one of a kind and the statement of how he "talked to engineers". You talk to engineers to figure out that a generator will charge batteries? I asked him what brand his trike was and he said they don't make them anymore but he is "consulting" with them. I find it all a bit scammy. And if he can't get a driver's license because he's a blind guy, why is he still driving on the street in any kind of vehicle, even if it doesn't require a license? He also says he got his license in July. The videos on youtube were 2 years old and he never updated anything.

wheelbender6
12-20-2009, 03:24 PM
I believe the prototype Copenhagen Wheel is advertising a "charge while you ride" capability. You save the battery power for climbs or headwinds.